Hermana Courtney Rippstein





Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hola! Como estas?
Well I have had my first 3 days at the Missionary Training Center in Provo. I feel like I've been here for 2 weeks, no joke. It's crazy!! I feel like I've known mi compas about that long as well and the elders in our district for about a week. It's intense. So I have two companeras: Hermana Roney y Hermana Nelson, from Provo and North California. It's funny, whenever we go outside for exercise time or whatever, Hna Roney will see ppl she knows in cars. None of them have seen her yet but its hilarious that she's like "oh there goes my uncle," or "hey thats the lady I day care for." I think it is very difficult for her haha. We have learned a lot so far, including bearing testimonies and prayer in complete spanish as well as singing the primary song, "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" except in spanish it is instead, "Head, Face, Shoulders, Feet." haha. For the sake of time, I am not going to write anything in spanish today - 30 minutes only! Perhaps next week :) It is amazing how much the spanish I took way back in middle school and freshman year have helped me. TAKE A LANGUAGE IN SCHOOL! - it will help you immensely!!
It's interesting seeing where everyone is going and where they are from. We had this intro thing with the 400 something missionaries that all arrived at the same time as us and everyone from every state & out of the country would stand up. When he said Utah, the whole room pretty much got up; it was ridiculous. I "whooped" when we Texans stood - gotta represent! They laughed and it was awesome. I like my district - we have 8 elders and us 3 sisters so far. Elders: Tidmarsh, Taylor, Johnson, Gines, Thompson, Greenwood, Miranda y our district leader Elder Lander. 2 are from Texas. No one in my district is going to Nicaragua. Come to think of it; I haven't met ANYONE who is going there. Which is amazing because we've already met and talked to tons of people. Mi compas are going to Retalhuleu, Guatemala. We all leave for Guatemala in 3 weeks if everything goes well with Visas. However, I am worried I may not go because I got called for an appt on Tuesday for something - doesn't say what it is however it does say that my Visa could be delayed if I don't go. Super. Well I guess if I'm meant to go there I will! We shall see.
A day starts for me at 5:45, when we get up and as a companionship go to an early morning class at 6am that is only for sisters. We do different things each day: kickboxing, pilates, toning - monday we do steps. It ends when the rest of the MTC wakes at 6:30. I really like it because that is the only place we really get to listen to ANY music. The first time it was this beautiful irish music which I adored!! So great. The mission president had decided no music is to be played on our own pretty much. Pero no problema; we're too busy to pay much attention to that stuff anyways. We get much more 'alone' time than I expected and much more time to work out and have fun outside and such as well.
I really like the food here. Freaking good. Today I had like a chicken taco salad thing with a delicious dessert and it was grand. Yesterday we had Papi Juans for dinner (Papa Johns Pizza). I like that the names change when you go to spanish, for example instead of Joseph Smith, it's Jose Smith. Anyways, I thought it was cool. The spirit is very strong here, and all of the elders are very respectful to the sisters which is totally awesome. Except they have this crazy rule where all the boys at the table have to stand up when a sister sits down, which can be annoying for them when we forget like a spoon or our drinks or something and make them do it multiple times haha. Yesterday we taught a lesson for the first time. Apparently we did very well for our first time but we all agree it was not our best effort and it was not nearly what we'd planned. However, I have already had experiences where the Spirit has worked through me to say something or come up with an idea/strategy or whatever that I would not ever think of myself. I like my companions and we get along pretty well. However, I am not sure they really know what to do with me just yet haha. There is always something for us to be working on and always more potential to grow and learn more. I am surprised I have learned as much as I have so far. It's crazy being a missionary. But I love it. We are gettinv very prepared - we need to, we heard that in the Guatemala MTC there is NO english spoken. I don't know how true that is but I feel to prepare anyways. I love you all and I'm glad that I could write to you today - for more in depth info, please send me a letter! I know the Gospel is true and that if we all do our part of the deal, the Lord will be there and helps and guide us in our struggles and challenges. I love you all very much! Te amo!! Hasta Luego - see you later! Ciao!!
Hna Rippstein

No comments:

Post a Comment