Hermana Courtney Rippstein





Monday, October 4, 2010

Conferencia General

Mon, October 4, 2010 6:01:45 PM
1st things 1st - I am in Leon and so is my companion Hna Platero. She will have served the entire first half of her mission here in Leon this transfer. Who knows how long I will be here? hahaha. I’m okay with that though. I am also glad that we can just continue on with the work here instead of having to readjust to a new companion and teaching style. Also it doesn’t hurt that we get along!

So we watched the women’s broadcast but it was in Spanish so you can imagine how much I got out of it. They never translate the music though so it was funny with a whole chapel of women standing to sing and not being able to ‘cuz they don’t understand the words on the screen. Pretty sure I was the only one singing! It was thrilling for me haha. This week I was praying a lot that by some miracle I could understand something out of general conference. I was pretty bummed at the idea that my first conference would be beyond my reach. But guess what? My prayers were answered! YES, they work! Now the Lord did not grant me a perfect understanding of Spanish, but we were able to watch the conference in English! Which turns out to be better anyways because there is much lost in translation.

Anyways, I knew that as a missionary conference was going to be great but I didn’t really understand just how much. The first session of conference blew my mind. Many prayers were answered, it seemed tailored for me, and I could not take enough notes. Also, it didn't hurt that both Elder Uchtdorf and Elder Holland spoke, and they are my favorites to hear from. My favorite talks of the session were by Elder Uchtdorf and Elder Christofferson. If you did not get a chance to watch all the sessions of conference, I highly recommend it. Many just go to Sunday morning session, but it has been my experience that I have learned more personally in the other sessions; you never know in which you are going to receive exactly the guidance you need. I also recommend taking the time to watch them rather than just read them - they show up a few days after wards on lds.org - because there is something that hits you more when you hear a general authority speak.

Anyways but yea.. I felt so good in conference, probably because for once i was so totally and completely focused on it and hungry to learn and hear what the Lord has to say to us. After every session I was taken aback.. ´That was two hours?!´ It flew by!

The words that hit me the most were ´Conference.. is now.. over.´ Excuse me if I sound silly, but I felt in that moment that we had been sitting in a round table discussion, a district meeting with the general authorities and the Lord, counseling and planning together. Touching base with one another and discussing what the next step needs to be... warning each other of possible setbacks and the realities that are along the way for us and those we lead. It seemed to instead say 'Alright, that is all. Now go do it for 6 months and do not fail those you serve, as if we will have a progress meeting then, assess the current standing, and be retrained for the next period and challenges, with new goals.' And boy do I feel responsibility for what I have learned. The Lord expects a lot out of us, because He knows our potential.

Anyways.. the work is good. Sometimes the work (and life in general) is asking the Lord to help with specific things and then thanking Him later for the inspiration to overcome what didn't happen the way we expected. I love you all, I pray for you, and I am still very excited and happy to serve the Lord. Disney cannot make this kind of magic :)

Yours forever,
Hna. Ropin




Courtney in Leon


Hnas. Rippstein and Platero, their ward missionaries (who go
with them to appointments and such), and a girl they live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment