Hermana Courtney Rippstein





Wednesday, January 5, 2011

WE ARE FAAAMILY

Mon, January 3, 2011 7:01:01 PM


I want to introduce ya'll to a few special people today. First, to my `boyfriend`:
Haha completely kidding. This is a Nicaraguan tradition that I am going to adopt. What they do is they build a `viejo` which is a person with old clothes and stuff and then at midnight they light it on fire and it burns signifying the old year going away I guess. What makes it awesome is that they throw fireworks and stuff inside so when it burns, its quite a show. LOVE it!

Second, our first baptism together here in Managua.. Jairo!

We are also teaching his sister Fabiola who is pictured with him.

Next - FAMILIES!! These guys are amazing and I have loved being able to have the opportunity to work with and teach and learn from them.

The first is Norlan and Maryuri. Norlan has really had a thirst to learn more and more and is eagerly reading the Book of Mormon. He always talks about how clear everything is and how much it makes sense to him and how he feels the spirit when he reads. He has loved the church and has adapted easily, already making good friends. He is a pretty personable guy.
His wife Maryuri is a bit reserved and doesn't say much but she is a gem. She also has enjoyed church, especially the relief society--and the women cannot get enough of her little girl.
Then there is Justin, their son. He is a HOOT! He was really quiet and shy and wouldn't even smile at first but that has all changed. Now we are BFF's and he is always telling me secrets and smiling and giggling. Absolutely gotta' love the kid.

Then we have Aldo and Karla. These folks are great! They cook and sell food out of the house - which is delicious by the way - and they are just the cutest.
I have no doubt that these two families have been prepared by God at this very time for the gospel. One thing that has just about blown our minds is the fact that Aldo y Karla, after beginning with the missionaries, have had family home evenings (spiritual thought and learning together etc), companionship inventory and decided to fast together for an answer the first sunday of the month, without the knowledge of those things in the church! We were like.. YOU JUST HAD A FAMILY HOME EVENING! That's what it's called! And it was something new for them and idk-maybe I cannot explain it. Well, it was just awesome. They have begun naturally to do the things we do in church, without previous knowledge or anything about it. Awesome. They are very personable as well and just very good people, and very funny as well. They each perfectly compliment the other. The oldest child, Ixa, loves reading the Book of Mormon and loved when her mom was reading it to them in their little FHE and explaining and everything. She is only 10.

And the littlest is the biggest personality ever. I cannot explain his personality but Jeremy just makes me laugh every day. Look at him show you his muscles! He is SO strong! Haha.

We are teaching more folks as well but these are the only ones I have photos of right now so there you go. They are awesome! I feel extremely blessed to be able to participate in this work.. I really cannot think of anything else I would rather be doing even though sometimes I feel like I don't know what I should do! But all we have to do is put in the effort and the rest is in the Lord`s hands. I like missions. I think they are one of the absolute best things a person can do in their lifetime. I highly recommend it. ANDO FELIZ!

Also the rest of the pictures are from Christmas - sorry they are a bit behind!



The folks in the photos are the family Medina, with whom we eat lunch and dinner. She`s amazing! And the drink with fruit in it in the pic with my comp is Ponche, the Christmas drink of Guatemala I told you about.

Happy New Year! I have lots of personal goals this year to achieve, one of them being that my comp and I are going to redo Personal Progress. Our goal is to start and finish it this year, and we have already begun. Bishop Newbold - I expect the bee necklace you get by redoing the program when I get back in a year okay?? Hahahah. Wow. I only have one year left.. I come home supposedly on January 5, 2012. Weird. It feels like I've only been gone like 2 months, MAYBE. Has the time flown for ya'll as well? I love it. I love being busy. I am just happy and I hope ya'll are happy too. BUT it feels like there is still just so much to do! I can't only have one year left! Ahh! Hahahah. Anyways, wish me luck and keep these folks in your prayers cuz they are a special people. I LOVE NICARAGUA. With all the cheer that I possess, PROSPERO AÑO NUEVO!

No comments:

Post a Comment