Hermana Courtney Rippstein





Sunday, June 12, 2011

Double Dipper 5am

Mon, June 6, 2011 5:45:56 PM

Hermanas Rippstein and Padilla

SOOOOO this week was exciting. We baptized 2 families at 5am Saturday morning (that was the only hour the two families could do it for some reason, so we got up at like 3:15 to get everything all set. Sweeeeet). It was actually pretty amazing because one of the families were going to postpone again because yet another challenge showed up (like they always do). We accepted that not wanting to pressure them and began to pray and then we just waited with confidence in the Lord. Later on that night (Friday) they called us and said, no. We are doing it tomorrow at 5am. For sure. I personally see that as a little miracle in itself because this family had had problems passing since April when they were first going to be baptized. We were so happy to see these families be able to take this step of baptism. I’m sure that the challenges haven’t stopped but I do know that the blessings will definitely increase. What’s more is these two families are so in love with each other and so supportive that they strengthen each other where the other is weak and are great pairs. I’ve attached pictures of them. These guys have taught us so very much.



Other than these two families, our other few fams fell this weekend so the majority of our efforts again is searching and putting baptismal dates. One guy made me pretty sad because he has big goals in his life but he is missing the big key part and can’t see it. He has forgotten the Lord´s hand in all things. One thing we are studying a lot right now is the purpose of this life, to be able to apply the things in the lives of folks better. I’ve thought a lot about that one talk that speaks about how we really only have 2 gifts in this world. One is time. And the other is agency - or rather, the ability to decide what you want to buy with your time here in the world, whether that be eternal blessings or just temporal (temporary) distractions. There are some things we have to do, promises (covenants) we have to make to the Lord such as baptism and the ordinances of the temple, and the rest of it is improving yourself, and striving to grow to a point where you can obey every single commandment He has given us. The commandments lead us to a better quality of life. We make the promises and then spend the rest of our lives trying to honor those covenants we made with Him. It is between us and the Lord. ANY thing, big or small, that gets in the way of our obedience to the commandments and trust in the Lord is taking us away from those eternal blessings. There are no excuses. It doesn’t matter what happens. The Lord really does see it as black and white.

My first district leader told me a story of an elderly man who was in a battle with some sort of cancer in the knees. His life was a very difficult one and did not have very much at all. He came to realize his responsibility to the Lord who loved him and was baptized to be cleansed of all his sins. This man would walk the very large distance between his shack of a home and the church every Sunday that he physically could - unable to afford any mode of transportation. He tried to lift up others whose arms hung down, to strengthen others in every capacity that he could. He would even pray on his cancer-ridden knees as much as he could in hopes that he would be able to live long enough to be able to go to the temple and receive the ordinances there. My district saw this man and then others would share their excuses as to why they could not even pray on their own, expecting to be justified. ´There’s just no time. I´ve got a cold. I came home tired. My foot hurt.´ Etc. So on and so forth, as creative as they get. But they continue saying that ´the Lord understands. The Lord knows I have faith.´ etc. He told me he always thought to himself in that moment.. No. I DONT think the Lord will understand. I do NOT think you will be justified by that. Things like that are left up to the Lord to judge, and not us, however it is just so very sad to see things like that. I do not believe that the Lord justifies ´faith´ without action to back it up. Sure it is hard to develop. Sure, I have a LONG way to go. But I know I will get there. Anyways. So yea, just sharing a bit of what we have been learning. Follow the commandments. All of them. You will later see the blessings of such actions. And they will be better than anything you´ve got right now, especially the things you have to ´sacrifice.´


Sorry for the speech today. We have just had a lot on our minds recently. I personally feel a lot of comfort in knowing the Lord´s plan. I know I don’t know everything, nor am I perfectly developed OR better than anyone else at all. But I know that the Lord is guiding me right now and I know that one day, somehow, I will get to where he wants me to be. He is preparing each of us for something that we can’t see just yet or even comprehend. Lesson at a time we become stronger. I also would like to extend an invitation to read/listen to D. Todd Christofferson´s talk this past general conference and study it. It is amazing. I love it. I love you guys. The church is true. Be good.

I’ve also attached a picture of Nephi´s street, here in León. Yes. I’m serious. It’s a whole street named after him. Neat, huh?









No comments:

Post a Comment