Hermana Courtney Rippstein





Sunday, July 4, 2010

Week 3

Well we got our travel papers on Monday; we will be leaving the MTC on Tuesday the 6th. Our flight leaves around 10 or something and we have a 4 hour layover in - TEXAS!!! WOOO!! My companeras are not pleased. Let's just say they aren't huge fans of Texas. I can't imagine why. By 8:30 on Tuesday night, I will be in Guatemala. That is another country. It blows my mind that I'm going out of the country! Crazy. Anyways...
I actually have loved the MTC a lot. I can understand why people might complain but I like it a lot! I'm sad to be headed out so soon but it's okay. I'm stoked for the new change that will be taking place. I will miss our district and zone - we have wonderful elders, heading out to Honduras, California, Spain, Mexico, and other places in Utah. But I know we will stay in touch so that is cool; they have influenced my life very much and I know they were called to be here in this place and this time for a reason.
I met my mission president last week - it was Mission President Training week at the MTC, and the general authorities were all around, along with both my companera's mission prez, and mine. We had a little bit of time after an amazing special devotional by Elder Dallin H. Oaks to meet them. We were also selected as a district to participate in training for the couples that were here. We were paired up with an awesome pair headed for Oklahoma - those missionaries are getting one top-notch mission president! It was kind of interesting to see how nervous a lot of the mission presidents were about meeting missionaries and teaching them. Anyways so both of our presidents are natives, but mine (President Arredondo) speaks english, unlike my companeras'. What's kind of funny is mine is from Guatemala and theirs is from Nicaragua, and so they're just switching places. I am so excited to get to know my mission pres and his wife further - they were so cute helping each other with their English at times and they are so eager for the opportunity to be mission presidents. Their faith is absolutely incredible and I was so happy for that opportunity
I forgot that the 4th of July is coming up... I got a package from Melissa with flags in it and a lot of patriotic stuff and I was all like.. "I know I'm leaving the country, but that seems like a bit much..." and eventually I realized why aahahahah!! Last night some people were lighting premature fireworks which was cool. Looks like we'd have a pretty amazing view of the fireworks from our bedroom over BYU stadium. It is Hna Roney's favorite holiday and she is excited about it.
It is kinda funny being at the MTC though cuz I imagine all of my RM friends when they were little 19 year olds going to the MTC for the first time. But there are some elders that are just.. wow. They put you speachless because you can really tell they've been prepared to be here. My spanish is coming along well although I am wondering a bit how it's going to work in Guatemala when we're thrown into solid Spanish 24/7. I think we'll be okay though; we taught our first few short lessons yesterday in Spanish and it went okay so that was nice. We've had a lot of amazing teaching opportunities this week and I have learned a lot about how to teach and a WHOLE lot more about the gospel. My testimony grows each day, especially in the Book of Mormon. That book is just grand, let me tell you. I love it. I am learning more each day and I'm so grateful for the things in my life that have led me to this point.
Love you all and stay strong!!
Hna Rippstein

2 comments:

  1. I got to speak with Elder Denton at the airport while he was in TX today (on his way to Nicaragua). He knows exactly who Sis. Rippstein is (the only Sister going to Nicaragua who was in the group meeting with their new President). He's a little jealous they get to go to Guatamala first! He's hoping that they know he is coming in tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl. Waymon and I are so proud of you. Keep up the good attitude. Guatamala is an amazing country. You will be perfect for both countries.
    Taking good care of your mom!
    Love ya,
    Jeanne
    No worries about the party, you were just peachy

    ReplyDelete