Hermana Courtney Rippstein





Friday, July 23, 2010

Guatemala Dos

Well a couple days ago we were paired with the Latina Hermanas and we
went out and contacted real people in a park (rather than people just
pretending to be investigators and such. Much different!) and let´s
just say it was a humbling experience. Haha! I actually understood
more than I expected to and we placed 3 Book of Mormons and a lot of
other materials but still.. I have a LOT of work to do. We have one week
more until we speak only spanish - for everything. For now we can
still have a few meeting in English and talk to our companeras in
English. It´s going to be hard I think to conversate solomente en
Espanol, but it will be good practice for sure. Also when we went
contacting we got to go on the 'Chicken Buses' which is what they
call them because we are packed into them like a bunch of chickens
haha. It was a crazy ride but we got to see more of the city and such
and it was pretty neaaaat.

A typical day starts at 615 or so.. we get ready and go work out for
about 45 minutes then shower and get to breakfast at 8. Then it´s
class till lunch, then companionship study till dinner, then class
till 915, which is when we plan, then write in journals and go to bed.
That´s like a typical schedule though, without all our teaching appts
and special events like devotionals included. It was interesting
because last night they played a devotional from the MTC, and it
turned out it was Elder Oak´s talk - the same one from when we were
actually at the MTC. We tried to find ourselves in the crowd but we
forgot where we sat. We did however see a lot of the elders from our
old district though - that was funny! The deja vu was crazy. However
it was amazing to me to see how much I learned even though I´d just
heard that talk... I compared the notes from both times and they both
led in completely different directions. It is an inspiring talk and it
was about the fundamental principles of the LDS church and a bunch of
other things. Excellent.

The food continues to be good, and filling! I still love the bread!
Today we had some really, really good rice and I want to know what
they put in it because it was simply delicious. Oh thats another thing
about our schedule which is cool. We get 10 minutes after every meal
to go to the bathroom/brush teeth or whatever. Mom - tell Dr.Levin
that she should be proud because I brush my teeth about 5 times a day.

We also got to go to the temple today - first time since coming on the
mission! I love temples, and I hope everyone can get the chance to go
sometimes soon! The people in Nicaragua do not have a temple - YET!
But soon, I´m sure of it. Temples are the ultimate goal, because it is
there that we can become sealed together as families forever. That is
the goal that we must have as individuals and for the investigators.
The miracle of the Atonement and all the blessings of the Lord are
incomprehensible, but the Lord has given us ways to know that they are
true. I know that the church is true and that it is the living gospel
of Christ that we are proclaiming to the world. It is weird to think
that I just celebrated my 1 month anniversary on a mission. It feels
shorter and longer at the same time. I love you all and I hope you´re
making life magical! Yours,

Hna Rippstein

No comments:

Post a Comment