Hermana Courtney Rippstein





Monday, August 23, 2010

NICARAGUA 1

Mon, August 23, 2010 5:03:05 PM

Well first things first.. I´m in Nicaragua. Yes, I´m alive. And yes, I
already have great tanlines. It was very hard for me leaving my
friends and familiarity and other things but they don´t really matter
right now. My focus is the mission at hand. Right now I am in Leon. My
companion´s name is Hna Platero, from
El Salvador. I live with a
grandma, her granddaughter, and her adopted niece. The granddaughter,
Elbita, is a HOOT! A lot of personality in one tiny package haha. We
have pets too - 2 cats, a parrot, and after 5 days in the area I
discovered we also have
baby kittens. Love it! The weather here is
like Houston, except it doesn´t rain as often, and it doesn´t rain as
hard. Turns out that I know the son of my ward´s bishop, from the CCM.
His son went to Retalhuleu, with the rest of my district. It´s pretty
cool cuz he was the
Nicaraguan who I said looked like uncle Spencer. I
always called him Elder Tio - its pretty cool how even though I´m in
Nicaragua, the world is still small hahaha. I really don´t know what
to write about so if anyone has questions, feel free to ask my mom to
send them to me :)

Well, I do real
missionary work now with real people. I have also
begun brainstorming about a few ways we can step up the organization
of the wards and meetings and missionary program here, and I´m excited
to move forward with a few ideas and activities. My self-esteem about
my spanish has risen a little bit after talking to the elders that
were in Provo for 9 weeks. I feel a bit more prepared hahah but at the
same time I don´t understand much. There is a lot of talking done
through my expressions and my hands hahaha. But that is okay. All I
have to do is be obedient, create an atmosphere wherein the spirit can
teach, and then the Lord will take care of the rest. I have gained a
new level of gratitude and humility after being in a 3rd world country
- I have no reason to complain about anything. I am very thankful to
have been born into the circumstances I was and to have the
opportunities that I have. I have also gained a testimony of patient
diligence - paciligencia (No, its not a real word) and the fruits of
that combined with faith. The Lord wants us to be successful.

By the way - a shout out of congrats at the weddings of
John Gregory,
Tash Reeves, and their spouses! Felicitaciones!

Yours forever,
Hna Courtney Rippstein

No comments:

Post a Comment